History

1512

The school was built by James Carr on a site that is now the shooting range. We now have a House named after our founder.

 

1553 

 

 

The school receives its Royal Charter from King Edward VI.

 

 

1790

 

The completion of the second school on the original site.

 

 

1852

 

The opening of the third school and  covered play area on the same site.

 

 

1869

 

Completion of the first stage of the Hostel for boarders.

 

 

1872

 

Purchase of Holywell Toft.

 

 

1874

 

Completion of the First Laboratory and of the extension to the Hostel.

 

 

1877

 

The new swimming bath is opened and is considered to be the longest continuously running indoor pool in the UK.

 

 

1878

 

The building of the first classrooms on the new site, followed by a Science lecture Room.

 

1888

 

The completion of Big School (the Classroom Block) covered playground and gym.

 

1897 

 

The Chapel is built – a gift from Walter Morrison MP to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. It is now open for public viewing as well as still being used by pupils and staff.

 

1926

 

Over 800 OGs saw action during the Great War. 125 never returned. They are commemorated in the School’s Memorial Library and the Chapel on the War Memorial and in the Book of Remembrance.

 

1932

 

A Preparatory School is added for pupils aged 7 to 13.

 

 

1976

 

Girls arrive at the School. The first boarding school in the North to become co-educational.

 

2002

 

The new Sharpe Library and IT Suite is completed and opened by HRH Princess Anne.

 

2004

 

Giggleswick is one of only 18 schools to possess a Royal Marine cadet force, which became affiliated with HMS Bulwark in the autumn of 2004.

 

 

2006

 

The new Junior School is built to replace Catteral Hall.

 

 

2012

 

The School celebrates its Quincentenary - 500 years. The International Summer School is launched.

 

 

2015

 

Matthew Wilcock, Resident Artist at the school and Ceramics Teacher, wins BBC’s The Great British Pottery Throw Down

 

 

2016

 

 

40 years of co-education is celebrated at the School.